Monday, January 10, 2011

30 Days of Truth, {Day 1}

Something you dislike about yourself...

Wow...this is a good one to start with. I can think of a whole laundry list of things to answer this question!! I'll just share a few that I am really trying to work on improving right now though.

My self image, particularly body image-

I am really my own worst enemy. I judge myself more harshly than any other person would judge me and more harshly than I would judge any other person, though I try not to judge other people at all...I have "struggled" with weight my entire life. My nick names as a child were "cheeks" and "thunder thighs." Nice, right? Anyway, I grew up having a complete complex about...you guessed it...my cheeks and thighs. I know, logically, that these names were not meant to be hurtful. I had jowls like a bull dog as a child. People thought it was adorable. But it stopped being adorable around third grade. I always felt like I never lost those "chipmunk cheeks" and so, have always been self conscious about my face. The thighs...I'm only 5' 2" so there isn't a lot of room for the weight in my legs to be distributed...therefore it ends up around my thighs. 'Nuff said.

I am working on this "weight issue." The trouble with this is that I am an EXTREMELY impatient person. I kind of like instant results. I sometimes think of the girl in the red dress on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...Varuca I think her name is...that sings the "I want it now" song...yeah, that's kinda like me. I know I can't have everything that I want right now. I know that I most likely will never get EVERY thing that I want, but it's hard to not want the instant results. So I begin this inner battle on a frequent basis. I set a goal. I make a plan to achieve said goal. I begin an exercise routine, or Weight Watchers, or whatever my decided method may be. I am great for about a week. However, when I don't drop 15 lbs in that week (you know, biggest loser style) then the whole process becomes worthless and I am unsuccessful and a failure and blah blah blah down the self loathing spiral I go until I am sitting on the couch with a tub of Ben and Jerry's wondering why I ever bothered in the first place. Pathetic, right? "Losing weight the healthy way takes time," you might say. "You gave up too soon," you might also say. These things I am aware of. In my brain, they make sense. It's a matter of transferring this logic to my self destructive sub conscious. A matter of mind over matter if you will.

So, I am currently in week two of my newest resolve to achieve my ideal weight. I get up between 5 and 5:30 most days of the week and walk/run on the treadmill for 30-40 minutes while I watch Tivo'd episodes of NCIS. Have I been perfect in my efforts? No, no I haven't. I may or may not have gorged myself the other night on greasy noodles from Tepanyaki (they do take out now!!) And I may or may not have eaten five bite sized candy bars from my child's Christmas stocking...But, I am finding that if I just take it one day at a time and try not to think so much about the 20 lbs that I want to lose and just focus on doing what I need to do to get me through today, I do better. So I am trying not to get too wrapped up in the final goal and just relish in the fact that if I get up and exercise I feel so much better for that day. And if I happen to skip a day of exercise or eat a candy bar...or two...it doesn't make me a bad person or a complete failure. I just have to reassert myself the next day. One day at a time...

That answer was a lot longer than I was planning on, so I think I'll leave it at that. I think that "One Day at a Time" should be my new mantra. Maybe I'll get it tattooed somewhere on my body...

3 comments:

  1. You know what works for me? Don't think of it as a work out! Think "Sweet now I can catch up on NCIS." or "My alone time to listen to my fav music!" Work out time for me at home is time to laugh at myself for being a sissy, talk to Shawn T and tell him I am going to kick his trash, listen to kickin music, or any number of things. Tell you what, every Saturday morning lets go on a hike. No boring walks chica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, I created an account just to tell you that I love you and think that you are amazing! I love your blogging idea, and I think I'm going to do it too (just not in blog form probably). You are beautiful and I am impressed that you get up at 5-5:30 most mornings! i keep trying to talk myself into doing that, and yaaa....hasn't happened yet. Keep it up! "One day at a time" really is the way to success! Love you loads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually think you are looking great! But you are right, we are our own worst critics. We are like our very own "Simon Cowell". I'm glad you are trying to take a new approach though, and not be so hard on yourself. Trust me though, in the weight struggle department, you are not alone :)

    ReplyDelete