Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A New Lease

For those of you who know me well you will know that, for as long as I can remember, I have hated my boobs (yeah, that's right, I said it). I honestly don't remember having small boobs.  I was wearing a 34 C by the time I was 12, and a 34 DD by the time I graduated from High School.  With each pregnancy/birth/nursing I have increased a cup size or two (or three) and lost very little (if any) when I was done nursing and back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  I have permanent grooves in my shoulders from where my bra straps dig into my skin and muscle. I wear two bras to exercise because if I don't, it is extremely painful. Needless to say, they have pretty much made my life miserable. So, for a L.O.N.G time now, I have been dreaming and wishing that, someday, I will be able to get a breast reduction...

Well guess what? Someday is H.E.R.E!!! On a whim, I asked my Chiropractor at a recent appointment if he would ever recommend that someone get a breast reduction for the sake of their "spinal health."  He said absolutely, and mentioned another patient that he had written a letter of recommendation for  whose insurance paid for her to get the procedure done. So, figuring it would be a long shot, I asked Ben to call our insurance and see if it would be a covered procedure.  They said yes, with prior authorization...(which, quite often, means "no") so we went ahead and scheduled a consultation with a plastic surgeon. He overwhelmingly agreed that it would be beneficial for me and took some notes and pictures which were sent to our insurance company. Well, yesterday, the plastic surgeon's office called me and said that we had actually received the needed prior authorization!! The lady that I talked to said she was very surprised that they approved it, because they seldom do! So now, I am scheduled to have breast reduction surgery on May 30th!!!

I must admit, I am in TOTAL shock...I never dreamed that this wish would ever become a reality...I thought I would have to live with my huge, saggy boobs for the rest of my life...and now, in two weeks, I will be taking out a new lease on life! That's what it feels like anyway.  I haven't been able to buy a bra at a regular store in about 10 years. I can't wear button shirts because they just don't fit right. I have a VERY hard time finding bathing suits or lingerie because they also just don't fit right. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that soon, I will be able to buy a $15 bra from Walmart (as opposed to an $80 +shipping bra from an online store called biggerbras.com where I have to wait 6-8 weeks because the size I need is always on back order...don't even get me started on if it doesn't fit) and wear button shirts and find bathing suits that fit! And, for once, maybe not loathe the reflection that stares back at me in the mirror...

So, needless to say, I am ecstatic about getting this done! However, I am kind of...hesitant to tell my family. I'm not sure why exactly.  I guess I feel like they would judge me...Can anyone explain this to me?? This is something I have wanted FOREVER and it would improve my self image, not to mention relieve me of physical pain. And it's covered by insurance so the cost to us will be minimal...really I have no reason not to do this...so I don't know what my problem is...

So, wish me luck, I guess!! In two weeks I will be a new woman! :D

3 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! You and I have had MANY conversations about this so I am so happy that you are finally going to have your dream come true!! Love ya girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you know how very jealous of you I am right now! I crave to not have back aches and have my sholuders not hurt everyday of my life! To not "bust" out of every bra I buy. We've talked about this forever! Good luck friend maybe someday I can follow in your footsteps and have a taste in our shared dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome for you! I think you will like the results after you recover. Mu friend had a reduction and she was pretty sore for over a month.
    I am the opposite of you though. I went down a cup size with each pregnancy. Wouldn't mind a *tiny* bit back.

    ReplyDelete