Friday, April 15, 2011

Hypnobirthing...and such


As some of you may know, we are expecting baby number four! This was a total surprise for us...since we had pretty much decided that Kaylie would be our last (you know, since she has such an easygoing and mild-mannered personality and all...) and I made the mistake of saying, out loud to Ben, "If we do have another one it will have to be a surprise because I'm done!" Famous last words right? Blasted Karma...

So, our new little treasure will be joining our family in late September! This will be our last baby (oh yes, yes it will) and Ben and I wanted a whole different experience this time.

Now, don't get me wrong; I have never had a bad birth experience. All three of my kids were born without major complications. I had an epidural with all three and never had a bad reaction to it. I had relatively quick recoveries with the 2nd and 3rd deliveries. But through the whole experience and looking back on it now, I felt like an observer in the birth process. I was basically trapped on my back in a bed strapped to various monitors and iv's and medications and such...I couldn't really feel to push or anything...and looking back, I just didn't feel like I participated in the birth very much.

Enter good friend who has had both of her babies using Hypnobirthing...

She raves about this process. It is amazing and wonderful and empowering...Hmmm...

So Ben and I started looking into this. We have been participating in a Hypnobirthing class for about three or four weeks now and I have to admit, I am excited! After our first class, I felt really good about this! I know what you may be thinking.."Hypnobirthing? Is she crazy? What kind of voodoo is that?" I was a little iffy at first too, but it isn't anything crazy at all! It's just about trusting our bodies to do what God intended them to do without medical intervention. It's all about helping my body do this in the easiest, safest way for both me and the baby. It's about listening to my body and actually participating in the birth by moving and breathing. It's about my freedom to have this baby how I want and not how the Dr. or hospital thinks I should! I had my first appointment with the midwives today...and they are great! She said that about 60-70% of their ladies give birth naturally and that Ben can even help deliver the baby if he wants! Yeah, gown and gloves and catch the baby...how cool is that!?! So, I am really starting to see how my friend could think this is amazing and empowering! My brother is already making fun of me...but who cares, right? He ain't having no baby! :) I kind of can't wait!

Oh, and we are also not finding out what gender the baby is, so don't ask! (It's hard enough!) :)

So, this is my new journey...wish me luck! This is gonna' be amazing!

3 comments:

  1. I have had all three of mine without epidurals and LOVED it! People think I'm crazy when I say that, but I'm totally serious!!! We did a Bradley method class the first time, but I have heard wonderful things about the hypnobirthing. So...you go girl!!! I have always thought it would be fun to not know the gender. So far I haven't been able to do it. Maybe next time. :) Oh, and I would highly recommend the book "Mind Over Labor". Love the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had 3 of my 4 using Lamaze. Even though 2 of the 3 were not easy, your method has the same goals as Lamaze, ie: to be an involved participant whose baby is alert and pink!

    I hope everything goes really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! This last one was with no epidural, and it was by far my favorite experience of the three, and my recovery was pretty much immediate (i.e., only needed ibuprofen for pain and walking within an hour). Most of all, I loved being able to feel everything that was going on. I think especially now that this is your fourth, your body knows how to do this and it WILL remember. It will be great! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete